Monday, February 1, 2010

Personal Quilt



MY QUILT



MY OUTSIDE


MY FUTURE


MY INSIDE



MY PAST



At first, it was difficult for me to think of ideas to start this quilt project, but then as I began to explore Photoshop on my own, some thoughts came to my mind. As I worked on my inside quilt, I wanted to display how I felt and how others do not see me. I wanted to show that I feel alone and empty now that I lost a family member. So I thought about dark, foggy scenery and an empty forest. The angel wings, halo and candles represent my family members that rest up in heaven. I placed a picture of myself sitting on the floor off to the side so that you can easily see the empty forest. I added words that meant loneliness, drained and empty that curved around the whole image.
My outside quilt is very different from my inside quilt. It has a lot more complex details that others said described me. They said that I was athletic, and school spirited so I wanted to display myself in my school soccer uniform. Around the entire image I have soccer position silhouettes and the school mascot. I decided to use a black background and use school colors throughout the entire picture. I also added words like athletic, and varsity and Chavez because those words stood out the most to me.
I feel like these two squares are completely different only because I display the outside of myself the most. I am more active and energetic when I am out with friends or out on the field. Although when it is just me, I think about other things like family and how I feel without them. You can visually see that I am more outgoing and colorful on my outside quilt then my inside one.
My future quilt square displays what I want to pursue as a career and things that I want to accomplish. I wanted to collage many images around myself and Photoshop helped a lot with that. The pictures I used were graduation hat, and interior design blue prints. The pictures show that I want to graduate high school and get my diploma this year in 2010. After graduation I want to major in interior design and draw because I see myself with that dream job.
My past quilt square shows that I look back and there are many changes over the years. I put pictures of myself when I was younger and a picture of me in the center that meant I was looking back at my past. In one of my baby pictures I am wearing the same colored shirt and I am also surrounded by the same colored smoke. I put a picture of a clock and it swirls so it makes an allusion that you’re kind of looking in the past. I also put a statement that said my past made me what I am today, meaning that I went through many obstacles that I overcame and I still stand today.
Then I thought about unity and I liked the black background so I kept that in all my squares. I also wanted a picture of myself in each square and that I would be the main emphasis. Then I thought about the color scheme and keeping the same colors just so that everything will collage better and decided to choose an individual color for square. I used swirl paintbrushes to connect the final quit square and unite all four together. I added smoke paintbrushes in the outer part of the square to create a mysterious, foggy outlook of how my future, inside, outside or past may be so it makes like somewhat delusions.
Tools that I used in Photoshop were the magnetic and move tool the most. This tool helped a lot when I just wanted to cut an image and drag them to another picture. I also used the eraser tool to delete hard edges and the pin tool to create swirls that made them seem like they swerved around smaller images in the quilt. I also learned changing the opacity of each picture and effects can help blend the pictures and that was really cool.
Overall, I liked this project a lot and I enjoyed the whole process of making them because everything was all my ideas. Everything was free thought and I had no boundaries on my imagination so it did not feel like a homework assignment. Although I do wish I had a lot more time to work on this project because I think that I can do a lot more to the images to make them way better. Other than that I am glad how my final quilt came out to be and how each quilt turned out too.

No comments: